The post-award Grants and Contracts Officers (GCOs) are responsible for collaborating with Principal Investigators (PIs) on the successful navigation and administration of sponsored awards and accounts. This includes performing in-depth reviews of award documents, monitoring expenditures, assisting with progress reports, applying for no-cost extensions, or any other prior approvals necessary once the award is in progress. GCOs also provide monthly expenditure reports and coordinate with the PIs for any changes that might be necessary to the account to avoid overspending or inaccurate charges, such as changes in effort, personnel, purchases not originally accounted for in the budget, etc.
PIs may request situational guidance meetings to discuss projected burn rates or detailed analysis of their current projects. PIs must take the lead on managing their effort across sponsored projects.
- Once you receive notification that your proposal has been awarded, notify the ORSP central box SPHORSP@gsu.edu.
- If you receive the award directly, forward this to ORSP for processing through OSPA.
- If you did not submit a proposal, notify your assigned Pre-Award GCO, so the appropriate forms can be routed in order to accept the award.
- If any changes are necessary from the proposal budget to the award budget, ORSP will work with you on the revisions.
- Send the assigned GCO any compliance protocols applicable (IRB, IACUC, etc.)
- OSPA will negotiate and fully execute the award.
- OSPA will distribute a copy of the fully executed award, along with the assigned speedtype for spending.
- Review the award and notify your assigned post-award GCO of any issues with the documents.
- Pay particular attention to the effort listed on the award budget and notify the GCO immediately of any changes.
- The GCO will review the award and account to ensure the budget was setup appropriately.
- The GCO will initiate your effort to begin charging to the newly assigned speedtype for the period and percentage listed on the award budget.
- If subrecipients are included, the GCO will initiate this request with OSPA to draft the agreement.
- The award is now fully setup.
- It is recommended that you develop an effort tracking tool for all of your project personnel, as well as for the effort where you may be collaborating on a project you are not leading.
- ORSP has developed a simplified effort tracking tool that can be utilized and adapted to fit your needs, which can be downloaded here.
- Your assigned post-award GCO will send you monthly expenditure reviews that will include your project drilldown reports listing account balances.
- The GCO will notify you of any potential concerns that could lead to overspending the account and will ask you to verify your effort being charged.
- You will be required to confirm your effort.
- If you need to request a no-cost extension, official budget revision, or any other post-award action, please complete a Project Information Form (PIF), which will be assigned to a GCO to initiate these requests with the sponsor or OSPA, as necessary.