Next Steps for Admitted Students (U.S.)
- Activate your CampusID. Your Campus ID is your passport to access online services at Georgia State.
- Set up your student email account. All official communication form the university is sent to your student email.
- Access your PAWS (Panther Access to Web Services) account. This is the online system you will use to register for classes, view academic records, update personal information, view financial aid and pay tuition and fees and much more!
This requirement is detailed in the following Board of Regents policies:
- Policy 4.1.6 Admission of Persons Not Lawfully Present in the United States
- Policy 4.3.4 Verification of Lawful Presence
In compliance with the above policies, a Citizenship Verification Hold preventing registration will be placed at the time of admission for any student admitted for Fall 2011 or later until lawful presence is verified.
How Can the Citizenship Verification Hold be Removed?
Students may be verified through one of the following options:
A. Verification through the Federal Aid Financial Aid Form (FAFSA)
If you are either a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible non-citizen (does not apply to international students on a visa) who has completed and submitted a FAFSA, the U.S. Department of Education will verify your lawful presence. If you are not able to be confirmed as lawfully present the Office of Financial Aid will follow-up with you for additional documentation.
B. Submission of one of the following documents:
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization *
- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship *
- U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad*
- Current U.S. Passport *
- Current GA Driver’s License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008*
- Current GA ID Card issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008*
- Permanent Resident Card*
- Certified U.S. Birth certificate (must be submitted in person)
- Military ID (must be verified in person)
*Copies of these documents are acceptable. Documents should be submitted directly to the Office of Academic Assistance.
C. Verification through SEVIS (Student and Exchange Information System)
If you have or are applying for an F or J visa the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office will verify your lawful presence through SEVIS. As this is already part of the immigration process there are no additional steps required to have your Citizenship Verification Hold removed. Simply comply with the requirements outlined by the ISSS office as you prepare to arrive to Georgia State.
D. Verification through SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements)
If you are not a U.S. citizen and are not able to be verified by one of the options above, please contact the International Student and Scholar Services office in order to query the SAVE Database.
The Citizenship Verification requirement applies to all newly admitted students at the Georgia State University beginning fall 2011. This includes students who have been previously enrolled at GSU but are either returning (Re-entry) to a degree program or applying for a new degree program. Transient students must also be verified; however Cross-Registration students do not.
What If I Do Not Provide Proof of Lawful Presence?
Admission will be withdrawn for any student who is unable to provide proof of lawful presence by at least one of the methods outlined above.
- Office of Academic Assistance and Career Services
- Georgia State University
- School of Public Health
- P.O. Box 3995
- Atlanta, GA 30302-3995