Graduate Certificate in Public Health
The Graduate Certificate in Public Health (GCPH) is a 16-credit hour program of study. The content is the same as the core courses taught in the Master of Public Health degree program.
|Graduate Certificate in Public Health
Occupations by names and Standard of Classification (SOC) codes that the Graduate Certificate in Public Health begins to prepare students to enter:
- 51.2201 Public Health, General
- 11-9111.00 Medical and Health Services Managers Bright Outlook
- 21-1091.00 Health Educators
- 21-1094.00 Community Health Workers
- 25-1071.00 Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary
The Graduate Certificate in Public Health will offer strong foundations in public health theory, research, and practice, for example:
- Community Health Practice and Research
- Program Planning, Management, and Evaluation
- Health Communication
- Health Promotion and Education
- Environmental Health
- Health and Human Rights
- Health Policies
NOTE: The Graduate Certificate in Public Health is not a credentialing or licensure program. If you are seeking information related to the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES), please visit http://www.nchec.org/.
In order to obtain the Graduate Certificate in Public Health, admitted students must complete five courses. A 3.0 grade point average in those courses is required to receive the Certificate. The records of students who fall below the 3.00 GPA requirement will be reviewed for continuation in the program.
Course Requirements for the GCPH
Introduction (3-credit hours)
PH 7160: Introduction to the Healthcare System
Biostatistics (4-credit hours)
PH 7017: Biostatistics for Public Health
Epidemiology (3-credit hours)
PH 7011: Epidemiology for Public Health
Electives (6-credit hours)
Students are also required to take a minimum of two (2) elective courses. These should be selected in consultation with the Graduate Advisor.
Graduate Certificate Applicants use Apply Yourself to submit an application.
Please see below for a list of requirements for a complete application. Do not submit an incomplete packet. Incomplete packets will not be considered for admission.
|Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- One official transcript from each college and/or university attended, except from Georgia State University. Transcripts are required regardless of length of stay or if the grades are listed on another school’s transcript. You will collect and submit all unopened transcripts. If needed, a Transcript Request form be downloaded.
- If you are enrolled in another graduate program at Georgia State University, you may complete a Request for Transfer of Records in your current colleges graduate admissions office. If you attended Georgia State University as an undergraduate, we will be able to pull your records, so your undergraduate transcripts from GSU do not need to be sent.
|Statement of Interest and Professional Intent
The statement is limited to two typed, double-spaced pages and should have an original signature and date. The following issues should be addressed:
- Your previous academic and professional experiences as well as any work in the area of health or health care
- Your career and personal goals and how you believe the Graduate Certificate will help you achieve these goals
- Your specific interest in the Georgia State University program
- When completing the online application, you will submit the names and email addresses for three individuals knowledgeable of your academic and/or professional abilities. Your recommenders will automatically be sent instructions via email on how to submit their recommendations through the secured application server.
- It is strongly recommended that at least one reference letter is an academic reference, especially if your college graduation has occurred in the last three years. However, three professional references will be acceptable if you are unable to obtain an academic reference.
- If your recommender would feel more comfortable submitting a hard copy of the reference letter, he or she should send the Reference Form and the recommendation letter to you in a sealed envelope with his or her signature across the envelope’s seal. You will then submit the letter and form (unopened) with your application packet. Recommenders who upload their reference letters online do not need to submit a hard copy of the letter or the reference form.
|GRE or GMAT scores
- Official GRE or GMAT scores should be sent directly to Georgia State University from Educational Testing Service (ETS). The correct institution code for Georgia State University for both tests is 5251. A department code is not used.
- For information on the GRE, visit their website at www.gre.org or call 1-800-GRE-CALL. For GMAT information, visit their website at www.gmac.org
- We recommend that you take the test no later than two months prior to the application deadline to ensure that your scores arrive in time.
- Applicants with an earned doctorate (including an M.D. or J.D.) from an accredited institution in the U.S. do not need to take either examination.
- Applicants must submit the Residency Form at the time of admission. This document should be sent directly to the Office of Academic Assistance & Career Admissions. You can e-mail the completed form to email@example.com.
- Official TOEFL score (for applicants whose native language is not English). If available, please include a copy of your TOEFL score in your application packet.
- International credential evaluation (for applicants who have completed any education outside the U.S.). See International Applicants document.
- Foreign Student Financial Statement (for international applicants seeking a student visa).
|Certificate of Immunization
- This is required for accepted applicants who have never attended Georgia State University. If admitted, you must submit this form to Georgia State University Health Services prior to registration. The form can be printed from the Student Health Clinic’s Immunization Page.
- The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia requires that any student applying to Georgia State University will be required to provide verification of their lawful presence in the United States before their admission to the university can be finalized. Learn more about the documents accepted.